Sponsored Post: Thank you to Birds Eye for sponsoring todays post and inspiring me to introduce new ways to help more families eat more vegetables
I grew up with Tator Tot casserole my whole life, and think my mom had the best version (of course!) Tator Tot is one of those quick go to dishes I can throw together in minutes! I can throw together two dishes in no time, one for dinner that night and one for the freezer later on in the month.
Since becoming a mom, it is important to find ways to get my kids to eat their veggies!! I am lucky enough to say that 2 out of the 3 of my kids will eat “green” stuff, but my 3rd child has his mind set that anything green or vegetable he will spit out before he even gives them a chance! Of course, this is my male child who has been a little more difficult than my girls have at eating fruits and veggies.
On another note, as much as the kids and I love tater tot casserole, my husband, however, is not as fond of it as we are. So I set out to revamp my original tater tot recipe into a version my husband would love as well as finding yet another way to sneak in more veggies! I sometimes think I should have been a spy because I find myself being very sneaky when it comes to getting veggies into my ornery little 4-year-olds diet.
I love Birds Eye Veggie Made frozen veggies because I can stock up on it in my freezer and I can sneak it into a lot of recipes. I used the Riced Cauliflower in this remake version of tater tot and cooked it right into the meat which gives it an amazing slightly sweet creamy flavor that pairs so well with the queso cheese and taco meat.
So here it is folks, my Not Your Normal Tator Tot Casserole, that my husband actually devoured! It was a “praise the Lord” moment when he gave me his honest opinion after eating enough servings for 3 people (he is a really good eater 😉
Be sure to drop me a comment below on what you think after you attempt this remake version and maybe even what you did to put your own twist on this classic.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- taco seasoning of your choice
- 8 oz. Velveeta Queso Cheese
- 1- 10 oz. bag of Birds Eye Veggie Made Riced Cauliflower
- 1 can of peas
- 1 bag of tator tots
- Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- Brown beef and add in taco seasoning or pull your pre-cooked frozen taco meat from freezer
- Steam your cauliflower in the microwave per the directions on the bag
- Mix the meat, cauliflower, and chunks of queso together and place in bottom of pan
- Open and drain the canned peas
- Spread over the top of the cheesy meat mixture
- Sprinkle with seasoning salt
- Cover with tator tots and bake at 375 until tator tots and nice and crispy about 30 minutes.