SNACKS I MADE FROM OUR CEREAL DRAWER…
So it has been on my to-do list to clean out and re-organize our cereal drawer for awhile now. You know how those to-do lists go right? Well today was the day. It all started with the bowl of popcorn from a few night ago sitting on my counter that inspired me.
I hate throwing out food. Perfectly good food that you purchased, is like throwing away money, isn’t it? I love to take multiple ingredients that I have around the house, that either need used up, or are staples, and create dishes. Leaving more money in my pocket and more food in our bellies.
Snacks I made from our cereal drawer today, included Chocolate Rice Krispie Bars, and Bunny Tracks Chex Mix. Now remember, the possibilities are endless here.
Chocolate Rice Crispie Bars
- Chocolate Rice Crispies ( I just used whatever I had left in the bag)
- Marshmallows, large or small
- I take a couple tablespoons of butter and put in my favorite glass bowls (click here to see) and place in microwave for about 30 seconds or until melted.
- Then add enough marshmallows (big or small) to bowl that you will need to use up whatever amount of cereal you are using up.
- Place back in microwave for about 30-60 seconds or until marshmallows are fluffy and melted.
- Remove from microwave and add desired amount of cereal. If you like them thick and dense add more cereal and less marshmallows. If you like them gooey, add less cereal and more marshmallow.
- Then dump mixture into a buttered dish. I rub butter on my hands and then press into mixture into the corners so it doesn’t stick to my fingers.
- Cut and Enjoy!
Bunny Tracks Chex Mix
- Popcorn (can be a few days old if using leftover)
- Rice Chex or any plain cereal
- White almond bark
- M & M’s
- Line a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper (I fell in love with the convenience of parchment paper sheets in the restaurant industry-click here to see)
- Place as much or as little of the white almond bark into the glass measuring bowl (click here) and place in microwave until melted. I used the whole thing.
- Then in a large mixing bowl (If you don’t have a thatsa bowl I highly recommend getting one-this is also great for puppy chow, chex mixes, large batches of cookie dough, and bread making) add your desired amount of each popcorn, pretzels, rice Chex cereal.
- Slowly drizzle 1/4 of almond bark over cereal mixture and toss. Then repeat until bark is gone and everything is evenly coated.
- Next, evenly spread onto a cookie sheet in a thin layer- you may have to use more than 1 sheet pan, that’s okay because you don’t want large clumps.
- Quickly sprinkle with sprinkles or colored sugar and the M & M’s while the bark is still slightly wet. The reason you add this at the end is so the sprinkles and M & M’s keep their fun bright colors and aren’t coated with the bark.
- After the bark cools and hardens, break apart and serve. I usually divide mine into 2 quart size baggies or into snack size baggies for a quick-grab-n-go snack for the kids.